The May 25 killing of George Floyd while in the custody of Minneapolis police prompted protests over police brutality and racial injustice across the country — leading many networks and streaming services to reconsider programming. Here are some movies and TV shows that have been canceled or shelved (sometimes temporarily).
« COPS »
In the wake of protests over police brutality following the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, the Paramount Network canceled the long-running reality show « COPS » one week ahead of premiering its 33rd season. The show, which ran on Fox for 25 years, jumped to Paramount Network (then called Spike TV) in 2013.
« Gone With the Wind »
HBO Max quietly pulled the Oscar-winning 1939 movie, which has long been criticized for racist depictions of black people for for glorifying the Civl War-era south, from the weeks-old streaming service. In a statement on June 9, the company explained that the « ethnic and racial prejudices » depicted in the film « were wrong then and are wrong today. » The company said it plans to reintroduce the film later « with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions. »
« Live PD »
On June 10, A&E abruptly canceled the Dan Abrams-hosted reality show « Live PD » that had been its top-rated series. The decision came amid ongoing protests over police brutality but also followed producers’ admission they had destroyed footage of a 40-year-old Texas man who died in police custody after being tased while begging for his life.
Australian Broadcast Company
Chris Lilley’s “Summer Heights High,” “Angry Boys,” “We Can Be Heroes” and “Jonah From Tonga”
Four comedies from Australian comic Chris Lilley were pulled from Netflix in New Zealand and Australia due to criticisms of the shows’ depictions of people of color and the use of blackface and brownface makeup by Lilley, who is white, and others on the shows. Lilley uses blackface to play black rapper S.mouse in “Angry Boys” and brownface to play Jonah, a teenage Tonga native, in “Summer Heights High” and its spinoff series “Jonah From Tonga.” In “We Can Be Heroes,” he plays Ricky Wong, a Chinese physics student.
« Little Britain »
The BBC sketch comedy show, which aired from 2003-05 and featured David Walliams and Matt Lucas playing a range of often stereotypical characters (sometimes in blackface) was pulled from most U.K. streaming services in early June, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer and BritBox.
« Fawlty Towers »
The BBC removed a 1975 episode of the classic John Cleese sitcom that included a number of racial epithets, including the N-word, from its UKTV streaming service. After lobbying from Cleese and others, the network announced it would reinstate the episode with « extra guidance and warnings … to highlight potentially offensive content. »
« It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia »
On June 11, Netflix pulled a sixth-season episode of the long-running sitcom from its service in the U.K. over the depiction of two characters wearing blackface. (The series streams on Hulu in the U.S.)
- Dali Sub K-14F Black GlossSubwoofer Dali SUB K-14 F Whether the task is to fill the room with stereo music or to feel the subtle tremor from a movie soundtrack the new DALI SUB K-14 F will deliver! Build around a 14” aluminium long stroke woofer and with a 500 watts class D amplifier the DALI SUB K-14 F has the power and the control
- Dali Sub K-14F White GlossSubwoofer Dali SUB K-14 F Whether the task is to fill the room with stereo music or to feel the subtle tremor from a movie soundtrack the new DALI SUB K-14 F will deliver! Build around a 14” aluminium long stroke woofer and with a 500 watts class D amplifier the DALI SUB K-14 F has the power and the control
- Crumpler Intern Dirty/Clean Case Set Packing Cube lt.brown / yellowThe end of a cluttered suitcase. With the Dirty/Clean Case Set, T-shirts, shirts, undergarments, socks and other accessories can be packed in such a superlight and stylish way that one can hardly wait to get to the baggage check at the airport. Whether underwear is sexy or not does not quite matter here.
- Crumpler Creator's Chronicler 8000 Camera Sling bag blackThe Creator's Chronicler Sling 8000 learns from the past, lives in the present and orients itself to the future - this makes it a messenger camera bag that's as stylish as it is functional. The front organizer with its integrated 6 separate compartments, with space for charger, pens, cables and other
- Crumpler Vis-À-Vis Drone Inlay BlackThe Drone Inlay provides space for all drone equipment, propellers, cables and other accessories in its padded insert with removable zip pocket. Four neoprene-straps for secure attachment and a fabric band with grip straps guarantee maximum protection and security for the valuable contents. The Inlay fits
- Crumpler Vis-À-Vis Camera Inlay BlackThe Camera Inlay Set provides space for all photography equipment, cable, iPad and other accessories in its padded camera insert with removable zip pocket. Two belt straps for secure attachment and a fabric band with grip straps guarantee maximum protection and security for the valuable contents. The Inlay