Tesla has signed a deal with London headquartered mining giant Glencore for the supply of cobalt, the Standard can confirm.
According to a report by the Financial Times on Tuesday, Glencore will sell cobalt to Tesla for use in vehicles being produced at new car plants in China and Germany.
The deal could involve Glencore supplying as much as 6,000 tons of the metal a year for lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars.
Back in January it was reported that executives from the two companies had previously been hammering out terms of a deal for Glencore to supply raw materials for vehicles being produced at Tesla’s car facility in Shanghai.
Cobalt has become a much sought after metal and is also used in iPhones and laptops.
Cobalt prices hit record highs of $92,500 per pound last year as people’s insatiable appetite for tech products grows around the globe. Prices have since eased off.
But cobalt mining has become a source of controversy, particularly in Democratic Republic of Congo where three quarters of the world’s supply comes from and where is it is often mined illegally.
Tesla has said it will support sourcing of the metal from the DRC if it can be assured raw materials are coming from operations that meet social and environmental standards.
- Ansmann In-Car Charger 224Ansmann In-Car Charger 224, charger for the car with a charging current of 2400 mA and two USB ports, automatic control of output voltage and current protects the end device and the charger against overload and short circuit, dimensions 43.5 × 24 × 24 mm, Weight 12 g
- Harley Benton HBCE 990BEM Electric CelloHarley Benton HBCE 990BEM Electric Cello, with active Shadow pickup system, maple neck, fingerboard and pegs made of birch (Betula albosinensis), aluminium finetuning-tailpiece, comes with bag, bow, rosin, tummy- and knee-rests. Preamp: volume, treble and bass, 6,3mm switchable line-output for connecting an
- J. Meinlschmidt JM Nr. 1 for Perinet ValvesJ. Meinlschmidt JM Nr. 1 for Perinet Valves, Valve oil for Perinet valves, Durable, synthetic valve oil, Especially developed for new instruments with still very tight valves, Protects against wear, corrosion and deposits, Odourless - non-clumping, CO² / climate-neutral production, Enables a smooth, fast and
- J. Meinlschmidt JM Nr. 2 for Piston & RotorJ. Meinlschmidt JM Nr. 2 for Piston & Rotor, Synthetic valve oil, For Perinet and rotary valves, Long-lasting, Especially for instruments with average clearance, Protects against wear, corrosion and deposits, Odourless - non-clumping, CO² / climate-neutral production, Specially designed for perinet and rotary
- Earthworks Audio ICON ProEarthworks Audio ICON Pro; professional streaming microphone; small-diaphragm condenser microphone with XLR connector; for broadcast-quality speech and voice-over recording; ideal for recording, streaming, podcasting, interviewing, gaming, web conferencing and content production; polar pattern: cardioid;
- Earthworks Audio ICONEarthworks Audio ICON; USB streaming microphone; small-diaphragm condenser microphone with USB-C connector; optimized sound for home recording, streaming, podcasting, interviews, gaming, web conferencing and content production; polar pattern: cardioid; frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz; max. SPL: 132dB;